Monday, June 25, 2012

Multilingual much?

I was trawling through forums the other day and came across some info that made me smile because it made so much sense.

Relationships are something which many of us find mind boggling. But the funny thing is if you look at it quite simply, perhaps a good many of our struggles and misunderstandings come from simply not speaking the same language.

Haha, ok allow me to elaborate.

When I say language I'm not referring to the conventional idea of linguistics. I'm referring to an idea that Gary Chapman pipped a few years back in a book he wrote called The 5 Love Languages. In a nutshell, he basically outlined that there's five ways for a partner to express their love and care and how important it is to express love to your partner in a way that they can understand.

As I was reading the article, it made perfect sense.

For one thing he outlines the following as the five languages:

Words

Perhaps you're verbal. It's the things you articulate, speak or text to your significant other to show how much you care or value them.

Quality Time

Maybe you believe it's the time you spend together that shows your love for each other. Doing things together, focusing on each other and appreciating each other's company.

Gifts

Although this might sound materialistic I don't really think this language has to be. For one thing, it may the little sentimental things you give to your partner in a metaphorical sense. Like a little post stick note on their wallet wishing them a good day or a little random thing you bought for them because it reminded you of them.. As cliched as it seems, it really is the thought that counts!

Acts of Service

Discovering what things you can do to help your partner can be just as valuable a form of showing that you care. It's those little offers of help to make their lives easier like offering to pick up the laundry or picking them up from places which I think are really sweet.

Finally there's physical touch  which in my opinion when used with sincerity and gentleness can express wonders. Little things like stroking your partner's back, holding hands, hugging and kissing them on the cheek show that you care too.

Anyway when I read all this I was struck by simple it all really is. It's about reflecting on what your strongest love languages are and speaking the language that you know your partner appreciates and understands. Something interesting was the thought that sincerity is great but sometimes it's not quite enough. Sure it comes from the heart but if it is packaged in a way that your partner doesn't understand, it will be lost on them so it's also about communicating your care in a way that your partner "gets."

After I read this article I thought about it and realised that I think the way I express my care and love for my loved ones are through a combination of the above. However I get the most joy from doing acts of service for my loved ones and physical touch :)


No comments:

Post a Comment